Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Road trip Blather Summary

11/18/09: I hope to review these compiled notes from my 2009 Roadtrip. I'll edit, add and subtract text and photos. Narrow down my target audience. Possibly decide names should be added, or remain anonymous. I hope to get in touch with a local writer's group and spend some constructive time crafting text, or at least develop some basic storytelling skills.
To summarize the road trip 2009, I can say that there was guidance I received that spurred me on during preparation. When I was ready to sell the trailer and trade the truck for a gas miser, I, as I've noted, spied the tool-cabinet and realized that tipped over, it would fit on top of the motorcycle trailer...thus creating the base for Ellie Mae. As the trip preparation progressed, things stalled, decisions about power supplies, heat, air-conditioning, lighting, and ventilation all seemed too much at times. As my retirement activities started to expand, the idea of traveling with Ellie Mae seemed less and less appealing. Then all of you started asking when I was going to go on my trip. And then I felt obligated to finish. And to get on the road. I set a deadline, and decided to get on the road at whatever level of completion Ellie Mae was in. And on September 9th, I pulled out of Dodge, (Tampa).
I've described the trip as cathartic. I gained a freedom and a confidence I'd not known before. I gained a level of serenity and peace, staring for hours at the campfire, reflecting, detoxing from civilization and a thirty years of racing the rat. Things are just different now. I'm happy, confident, curious, relieved, secure. I wouldn't have done anything differently. There's so, so much of the beautiful United States that's been preserved and natural. There's still plenty more trips out there. There are many more people to meet, and to listen to their stories, and to tell mine to. There's a grand life, and it's entirely available. No restrictions, just peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment