Thursday, August 18, 2016

Week 11 Post Op

It's hard to describe the changes that have taken place in my recovery from the rotator cuff surgery. The normal course of physical therapy for week 11 will have me starting to use small weights to build muscle strength. The exercises I've done up to this point have been to restore the range of motion of the shoulder. What is so astounding and impressive is the little things that I've taken for granted, but was unable to do after the injury. Using dental floss was one thing. Shampooing my hair. Reaching the cabinets in the kitchen. Even opening the  car door, and turning on the car radio, or putting the car into gear. Writing had been very difficult, and shaking hands, or greeting someone in church. There are many, many activities that since they have been restored, I'm tickled when able to accomplish. There's a real joy and amazement in my heart to do the simple things after 4 months of being handicapped. What's funny about the process is that when I first try to do something new, there's a deliberate effort with great caution, for fear I hit one of those spots that is painful.  And then, the next time I do the same activity, turning the house key for example, my body remembers that this is a safe activity, and I complete the task without even thinking about the effort. And as I'm doing it, I get the realization that it's now a restored activity, and I've again been blessed with the benefits of modern science. Yes, sometimes my surgeon is a little off-the-wall, but I can't argue with his surgical skills. He's the best.
So, no motorcycling for me today, but someday. I sit on the old Guzzi when I'm out at the storage unit...alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment