Monday, June 29, 2015

Overlook View of Pacific Beach, Oregon Coast - And the Toyota with Backup

 

It should be that the Toyota Yaris has been trouble free along these 2,000 miles. (Knock on wood!) I had a tire patched that was leaking slowly, but required little other maintenance. I had one oil change done and will likely have one done once home again. The small bunk inside the Toyota has been handy, but hasn't served the purpose it was intended for. I removed the passenger seat made a little deck that accommodated a narrow 7-foot length of mattress. I'd thought I'd be able to take cat-naps at rest stops along the interstate. But seeing as I haven't any time on the interstates, I haven't been in the bunk very much. I slept in it two nights while at an overnight campground. I found it more convenient to just sleep in the car than to set up the tent.  For a time, I thought the bicycle had been a waste of time and energy to tote along. But I've bicycle for exercise several times, and used it to shuttle on a hike and bike adventure. Cycling 3.8 miles up a 1,000 foot elevation gain was grueling for me, but I made it. I rolled the bike off into the woods and locked it to a tree. Then I hiked back down the grade along the Pacific Coastal Trail. It was a wonderful hike through the tall, tall, redwoods and misty ferns. At the beach again, I drove the Yaris back up to the trail head to retrieve the bicycle. (On the hike back down I kept telling myself, "Don't forget the bicycle!" So...the bicycle has been fun. I'm not sure I'll get to ride across the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, as I'm running out of time here, but that sounds like a real bicycle adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment