Friday, November 20, 2015

Let's talk "Jumping Cholla" from Tucson

Ugh - Jumping Cholla, (pronounced "choy-uh"), is considered the most dreaded of cacti in the U.S. And yes, I had an adventure with these unbelievably painful creatures.
The link below has a brief description and a photo.

http://www.jumpingcholla.com/jce_jumpingcholla.htm



I was hiking the western mountains near Tucson in the Tucson Mountain Park. Lovely desert mountains with elevations over 4,000 feet. It was just a half-day hike and the weather was fine. But along the slightly uphill trail, maybe an hour from the trailhead, I maneuvered slightly to my right to avoid the cactus I'd had contact with before, the prickly-pear cactus.  But to the right unfortunately was the outreached arm of a jumping cholla. I'd seen them, but never had contact until that moment. I was swinging my hiking pole forward with my right hand and slammed into a dozen spines.  The section of the plant immediately separated from the rest of the plant and left a 4 inch by 2 inch pod attached to both me and the hard rubber grip of the hiking pole. Yes it was painful initially, but it's removal was far greater agony.  The surface precludes grasping the pod safely anywhere. Touching it would only have left me with both hands impaled. The lanyard attached to my compass proved my best friend. I looped the cord around the pod very closely to my hand and started to pull. PAIN! I can't describe it accurately. By ever increasing pressure on the cord, several spines broke loose of the hand and the pole.  I was just getting started. The pod came off of my right hand and the pole and attached itself to my left hand. Same spot. Thumb and forefinger.  The compass lanyard served me again and though the pod fell safely to the ground, it did attach itself to my shoe. No damage, but it did require the use of the compass lanyard once again for removal. Unfortunately, again, I'd not distanced myself quite far enough from the original plant and yes, I took another pod to my calf. Again, the lanyard routine. Fortunately though the calf wound was minor and more easily removed.

So the pain goes away after a couple of hours. There is barely any sign of the injury except some dried blood...easily removed. That's it, for two days. Then since it seems that the spines leave a barb under the surface of the skin, the body starts to try to get rid of the offenders. The second day brought 20-30 small bumps to the skin. It's been 2 weeks now, and after numerous applications of an ointment called drawing salve, the wounds are beginning to open. These little chollas are amazing.  And just another of the flora and fauna of the desert, that are, according the southwest desert writer and personality, Edward Abbey, just out to kill you.  Could be true...

No comments:

Post a Comment