Monday, August 1, 2016

Ahhhh...The Blessings of an Automatic Transmission

Let's get caught up here right off the bat. I'm still on a leave of absence from the American Red Cross. I'm really not in a hurry to get back there, although I am assured that work can be found for me that will not stress my surgical recovery. Still, I need a little more time before I head back there. Maybe later this month will work.
My recovery seems very speedy. Each day I find my strength and range of motion improving. Preparing to pay at a Starbuck's yesterday, I turned to my friend and said, "I've lost my wallet!" But in fact I had used my right hand to put it away into it's old home in my right hip pocket. I haven't been able to reach my right rear pocket for 3 months. Checking it, I found my wallet. Small things like flossing with two hands, washing my hair, opening a jar of sauerkraut, opening the refrigerator all are small conveniences I've regained. It seems a miracle. I've changed physical therapists as the last one didn't seem to have enough time to answer my questions. The new therapist is more professional and is always able to answer technical questions in the easiest of terms. I think I know now what muscle group is called the supra-spinatis. Maybe.
I've also traded in my indefatigable Toyota Yaris for a 2013 Ford Escape. The Ford is smaller than an Explorer, and bigger than a Focus. It has front-wheel drive, AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, and a little turbocharger. It doesn't get the gas mileage that the Toyota did, but I think that the convenience of not having to shift the 5-speed more than makes up for that. The Ford is a great car, and though I'll be in debt for awhile, (I'd rather not say, "underwater or upside-down"), I'll manage.

So that's the deal. Happy in Tucson during monsoon. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment