Tuesday, October 11, 2016

2 months just whipped right by...

Here's the update from Tucson, AZ. All is well. Shoulder surgery continues at remarkable rate of recovery. At 4 months since surgery, I'm at least 80% of former strength. Well, 80% of range of motion, maybe not strength. I'm bench pressing about 20 lbs., and exercising with 3 1/2 lb dumbells. I fill my liter hiking bottles full to get about 3 lbs each. But the hope is that by continuing with the weight training as well as the rubber band exercises, I'll get my 99% someday.

Most of my physical activities are normal now. I haven't braved the swimming pool, but motorcycling, hiking, and guitar playing are near normal and now, highly appreciated pastimes. I'm working on the transition from flat-picking to finger-picking, and though a challenge, it's opening up some new doors in my music scene.

Apartment life is always going to be apartment life. Neighbors living within a few feet are always going to effect one another, but building a tolerance to noise is helping. Unrestrained dogs are always an issue in close quarters, but still I'm happy to be out of the bus.

The bus...it's still here. It's empty, and the winter project is to strip it and rehab it. On a budget. The carpet is still intact and relatively durable, but seen some serious spills. I emptied an entire aerosol can of WD-40 buy accident. That's some smelly stuff, and though it's dissipated, I think there's a lingering scent.  All the wall coverings could use an upgrade, and just like a 40 year old home needs remodeling, the bus needs it too. So that's the winter project.

I'm working. I'm not getting paid, but I got to work for 7 hours, at least 3 times a week, and often spend another 10 hours in the office just staying caught up. It's rewarding to volunteer. We are reaching the limits of assistance available to flood victims in Louisiana, and resources are already pouring into North and South Carolina. Several caseworkers have already headed out, and one is leaving for Florida. Hurricane Matthew has had a huge impact, as we well know.

So that's the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment