Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Santa Fe and Albuquerque....New Mexico!

Yes, it's hot. And dry. And I'm back in the desert. But it's home! And I know that the RV has a bed that is going to feel like sleeping on a cloud.

I camped the last two nights in the Santa Fe NF just a few miles North of downtown Santa Fe. There's a great state park just past the forest camping area called Hyde Memorial SP. The National Forest facilities worked okay for me. I'm getting pretty good at boiling water for bathing. Won't give you too much more information on that!
I ran into some folks I'd met on my trip through Santa Fe last September. We got caught up and are looking forward to meeting up again. I met a fellow camper who told me of a website introducing people to, "extreme early retirement." Apparently, where there's a will, there's a way. The man I met had a M.S. from Georgia Tech, and behaving frugally, has reached a point of semi-retirement at age 42. After a 12 years in IT, he is pursuing a culinary arts profession, though taking time to enjoy seeing the country before biting into anything too serious. We were able to relate on ideas about budget travel, and about the latest gear from the myriad of technical backpacking companies. We also chatted about the direction IT seems to be going in relation to government intervention. Although more experienced, and 15 years my junior, I kept up pretty well on a hike that started at about 10,000 feet and ran up a trail to about 11,500. The adjustment for elevation is difficult, and any time we were climbing, I had to struggle for oxygen. Maybe after a few more days at those elevations my body would adjust. Today it's my feet that are sore. No pics for now...more to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment