Monday, July 27, 2015

Summer Hailstorm?

Looks like there is no end to the surprises in store for me while living in New Mexico. Yes, I've ridden a motorcycle in the snow, and rain, but until yesterday I hadn't ridden during a hailstorm. It looked a little cloudy to the north of Pinos Altos, but normally the storms move so slowly that there's usually a good deal of time for motorcycling. I went up the mountain to about 9,000 feet and stopped for awhile to admire the view of the hills and valleys. Then on the way back down, it started to rain, and then it started to hail. The thunder and lightning was not more than one strike per minute, but the claps followed the flashes almost immediately. As the hail continued, a pile of hailstones piled up in my lap next to the gas tank. That was really a first. After 10 minutes or so, the hail stopped and the rain continued. I was drenched, and grateful to be almost home. Yes, New Mexico has it's share of surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment