Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Still in Silver City

     Silver City is warming up and there are fewer and fewer sub-freezing nights. The plumbing froze once last week, and then thawed by 10 a.m. The skies stay clear 90% of the time. The sun is strong, as strong or stronger than any in Florida, but the temperature doesn't rise to 70. It always feels comfortable. Eye and skin protection from UV is required. I always keep sunglasses handy, and use a moisturizing lotion for my hands often.
     Hiking and bicycling in the mornings are helping to balance out my rich diet. The Mexican food is tremendous, but fattening. I've put on a few winter pounds. I'm also developing a tolerance for the hot green chile. Whether on cheeseburgers or in the burritos, green chile is on most any Mexican dish. I am told that there is a difference between Mexican and New Mexican food, but I haven't figured that one out yet.
     The Moho is rolling and braking well now that the brake line was replaced. If I'm going to head out for a 2000-4000 mile trip this year, I'd like for all of the systems to be in order before starting. In the next couple of weeks I would like to have someone replace a wheel cylinder, and give the transmission a once over. I may lubricate the shift linkage myself, but replacing the filter is proving to be over my head.
     Windy seems to be struggling more lately. He's got his digestive tract issues again. He's eating very lightly, and is not holding much weight. He's very tentative when jumping down from his bed, and has some difficulty with balance. I know there will be a time when he's ready to leave me, but I think that he's just a slow, old cat for now. I don't look forward to going back on the road with him. He won't be happy.
     So that's the update. Spirits are good here. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment