Friday, February 20, 2015

Windy

   Windy passed from our lives today. We had a chat this morning, and after all of the signs of his progressing illness, he let me know that today was the day he wanted to quit fighting. He hesitated jumping onto the bed, which was his usual strategic position. He asked to go for a walk, and took a long walk into the campgrounds, saying goodbye. We had lunch, and he ate a good portion of my chicken sandwich. Then he lay down in a spot he never lays in. Too weak to get onto the bed himself, and too shaky to stand. It was time.
     The vet didn't take long to diagnose his cancer. One kidney was barely working, his intestine had a large blockage, and his liver had a tumor. In fighting back tears, I felt relief knowing that it was indeed time for him to pass on. I gave him a kiss on the head and left the exam room.
   Windy will be cremated and his ashes scattered on the hillside here in the park. I scattered Misty, my kitty whose ashes I have carried for ten years, up on the hill early last week. Windy and Misty will watch over the hill together, here in Silver City.
     It's a sad day, yet I know that his struggle is over. He's been very weak. He's not wanted to leave my side for the past couple of days. We both knew somehow that the end was near. He would never have made it for many miles once the road trip starts next month.
    I think of many grand times we spent playing with sticks and string, and laser pointers and flashlights. He grew to love people food, as small portions I began to share with him a few years ago. Was this his undoing? I think not. He was a strong and healthy cat for many years. His 11 years was longer than I've had any other cat. I'm sad to see him go.
     I'm grateful to the Arenas Valley Animal Clinic who minded him while I was in Tampa 3 weeks ago.  And I am grateful to the staff at the Grant County Animal Shelter who guided my towards the pro-biotics that gave Windy and a few more treasured months together. Something during the last two months taught me about caring and intimacy, and about the love between pets and owners. I'm not sure why I let myself get as close as I did to Windy, but being close I've found it scary, yet so rewarding. I've grown knowing you Big Kitty. I'll miss you, and you will always be traveling with me in spirit. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment