Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Well...Maybe We'll Just Hang Out in Silver for Awhile

    Isn't it funny how a place just kind of grows on you? I noticed that after about 2 weeks of living in the Moho, that one day it started to feel a bit bigger. And now that I've been in the bus steadily for 10 months, it feels like home. It feels like I belong there, and like I have plenty of room. Isn't that funny?

    Well, now it seems that Silver, (that's what the locals all call Silver City), has started to feel pretty comfortable. What's that about? Have I found my niche? This has to be the best place for year-round hiking in the country. The winter's are bearable, even after 34 consecutive Florida winters. The general population is friendly to newcomers. I can say that the majority of people who pass by walking all say hello. And driving, everybody waves to one another. There are no troublesome traffic issues. The police presence is adequate, without being overbearing. There's a WalMart, (not necessarily a great thing), and there are a considerable number of successful small businesses. Things quiet down at night, and I don't worry very much about crime in general. I like it here. I've visited a couple of houses with a realtor, more so to sound her out about the real estate market than to actually buy something, and there are some really, really beautiful places to live here. It's not all that cheap, but it's wonderful to me. I'm picturing a view of the Mogollon Mtns in the Gila National Forest out the back window, listening to the Gila River gurgling by. These properties are available, and with either a short drive, or a short hike, I'd be down a trail into the best hiking in the country. And...there's a girl. Is she the reason why I'm not taking off right away?  More to follow.

Alas, the old Beemer is gone. The plan was to bring it out on the roadtrip, but unable to repair the transmission before my departure date, I loaded up the Moto-Guzzi and stored the broken BMW. Now the BMW has been sold. Fortunately, it is staying in the Airhead family. The new owner will be creating a café style bike. He's friends with the guy I bought the bike from, and I'm sure if I head back to Tampa someday, I'll get a peek at a real classic custom. So, sadly, I bid the Beemer adieu. Happy Trails old shoe. You served me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment