Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Campout in City - Downtown Silver City

Well it's been a different sort of twenty-four. Passing by a business called Jeff's Garage on Broadway in downtown Silver, I decided to pop in and quiz the owner about replacing the brake wheel cylinder on my RV. And the adventure begins. He and his mechanic have been pulling the rear brakes apart and doing what I've felt is an accurate and reasonable evaluation and diagnosis of my braking issues. I camped in his parking lot, the wheels removed and the back of the bus up on jacks. He's been able to procure the vintage parts and will have them ready for installation tomorrow. 50 years ago, he began working at this same location as a mechanic for the Chrysler dealership. When the dealership folded, Jeff bought the place. As an employee, and then as owner, he's been working on Dodges for 50 years.
Some my backstory: I've already done some of the rear brake work with a friend who seemed to have a tough time not breaking some of the brand new parts. I've also engaged and paid two different repair facilities, only to stop them mid-way through the job and have them reassemble the vehicle, still broken.
Now although Jeff has an apparently disfunctional air compressor to power his air-wrench, (It took two hours to get the lugnuts off, waiting for the pressure to build up in his air tank.),
I am committed. This brake work is going to get done...finally. It means another night in the bus in downtown Silver, but isn't this all just one more road trip adventure? And another sparkling blogpost? Alternatively, driving downhill and waiting for the brake pedal to go straight to the floor is nothing I want to experience again. At sixteen, I learned my lesson in a lime gold '68 Mustang fastback.

No comments:

Post a Comment