Thursday, April 16, 2015

Tenting In Tucson - Back @ Catalina SP

There's always an oasis for me at Starbucks. It's not exactly camping out, but if I camp near a city, the Starbucks has the branding to make me feel at home, in a way. I met with friends in Tucson last nigh at. We kept the staff hopping at the local Village Inn pancake house until fairly late in the evening. (At least we tried to keep them hopping, it took several attempts just to get a refill on the water glasses.) I'd already set up a tent at Catalina State Park, ($15), and driven the 7 miles back into the city. Remarkable is that the park's 5-10k acreage has been surrounded by urban sprawl. Across the 8 lane highway from the park is the Pro Valley Shopping Center, Walmart included. But right there in your midst is the Catalina Mountains. Up close, they are spectacularly imposing...breathtaking. Though no more than 6,000 feet in elevation, the rocky, dry, ocotillo strewn hills grab my heart with dominance and defiance to the outstretched fingers of expanding human economy. I'm reminded of the wolf who spoke to me on the Alaska Highway, (How many times do I get to tell this story?), saying, 'You can build your roads and houses, but this is my turf.' A hhh, a good story never wears thin.
I'll take the mountain road home to Silver City today. It's 5 hours instead of 3 along the highway, but far more rewarding. And back home, I'm going to start planning a firm summer road trip Northwest. I'm set on taking the Toyota and tent-camping. I'll store the Moho and the Guzzi in Silver or Tucson, and save considerable time and expense with the 40 mpg Yaris. With the bit of practice camping in Tucson, setting up a tent and dozing off on the air mattress has become a routine. I'll have a great time zinging up into northern Cali, Oregon, and up the coast into Washington and BC. Woohoo...road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment