Sunday, May 17, 2015

Pinos Altos, NM

     Whoa- I am way overdue for a post...so I'll try to get up to date here. I said goodbye to the KOA campground in Silver City and moved the bus, bike and car to Pinos Altos, N.M. PA is a suburb of Silver City, in a sense. Heading north from Silver on NM 15 into the mountains, PA, as it's known here, is only six miles away, and 1,000 feet higher in elevation. It's just a little hilltop town on the way into the Gila National Forest. I have a great view of some 7,000 footers. A family of deer ambled by my RV at sunrise on the first morning I woke there. A jackrabbit stopped to say hello as well. The neighbors were all eager to meet the new visitor and I seem to have more in common with this group than with the travelers at the KOA.
     I took a five mile hike this morning along the Continental Divide Trail. It's within walking distance and leads right up to Signal Peak, a 9,000 footer. My hike this morning went the other direction, but on my previous hike up Signal Peak, the ranger in the fire tower atop the mountain called down and asked me if I'd like to come up. The climb up the ladder was a bit scary, but the view was tremendous. (Alas, no pictures, but there's hope there.)
     I've been reinspired to hike a length of the trail through the ponderosa pines. The smell of pine brings a sense of connection to the woods, almost as though they spoke to me, reassuringly, that all would be okay. I believe there could be more to that connection to forest that could be developed. Hmmm.
     I've had a couple of adventures in the last month. An international bike race was held in Silver. The Tour of the Gila attracts bicycle teams from around the world. I played photographer, (yes, the pictures are coming), and positioned myself to try to capture some of the desert southwest together with the racing. I'll have the film processed in a week or so. Great fun, though the city folks have mixed feelings about the racers taking over their little city. Speaking with Optum team captain Mike, at the local coffee shop one morning, I learned about racing as a career choice. If you stay competitive, retirement at 35 years old is not unusual. Mike said that it was what he loved.
     There's a horse rescue ranch here. Two women adopt horses who've been abandoned or surrendered and bring them to health using the best medicine and treatments available. It's called The End of the Road Ranch. And for these horses, it's a place for them to live out there days in peace and harmony. I don't have much experience, but I'm able to help where I can. I may handle their website updates in time. I'm not sure if the horses help me a little more than I help them. I think so.
More desert southwest adventures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment